Position Description: Development Consultant
Reporting to and in partnership with the executive director, the development consultant is responsible for all fundraising initiatives and activities for Elephant Aid International (EAI). This position will create and oversee the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising, including major gifts, capital campaigns, grant applications, planned giving, in-kind resources, special events and community relations.
Specific responsibilities and activities include:
- Develop, coordinate and implement funding initiatives to sustain EAI’s programs and operations;
- Research and pursue foundation, corporate, government and individual funding opportunities;
- Coordinate strategy for identifying, soliciting, cultivating and stewarding major gift prospects;
- Develop a planned giving program with a focus on deferred giving, such as bequest expectancies;
- Coordinate and implement annual fund campaigns including mailings, community relations, and publications;
- Provide development leadership for capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives;
- Oversee grant management, including research, proposal writing and reporting requirements.
- Develop acknowledgment language and prepare timely acknowledgments to donors;
- Develop and coordinate EAI fundraising events in coordination with committees and staff;
- Supervise and coordinate development personnel and volunteers;
- Prepare and/or oversee all public statements, brochures, social media, newsletters, e-communications and media required to support fundraising efforts;
- Supervise data entry and donation tracking on current and prospective donors, and maintain systems for confidentiality of donor information;
- Assist in the development of department budget and oversee all development-related expenses;
- Organize and prepare all necessary donor reports and financial summaries related to fundraising;
- Schedule meetings, set agendas, prepare materials and facilitate correspondence with Development Committee members and keep committee members apprised of development efforts;
- Coordinate long-range strategic planning for funding as requested, with input and assistance from executive director and Development Committee members;
- Attend and actively participate in staff and required committee meetings;
- Represent EAI with professionalism at all times;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must embrace the mission of Elephant Aid International.
- At least 5 years of related experience in one or more areas of management, fundraising, non-profit development, grantsmanship or volunteer services. At least 2 years supervisory experience.
- A B.S. or equivalent degree in marketing, business, communications, journalism or a related field. Graduate degree and/or major coursework in philanthropy, communications, marketing or a relevant field is preferred.
- A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting individual donors, corporations and foundations.
- Measurable results in organizing and implementing such activities as: major gifts, annual gifts, grant writing, corporate and foundation giving, direct mail and special events.
- Proven experience in managing an integrated fundraising program with a reputation for quality, excellence and follow-through.
- Skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers, with understanding of the non-profit sector.
- Sound computer skills including word processing and database management. Experience and knowledge of appropriate fundraising software is highly desirable.
- Motivated and self-directed, with effective time management and organizational skills, including the ability to deal with several priorities at the same time.
- Strategically-focused analytical skills, good common sense, capacity to provide leadership and to collaborate with others in a team situation.
This is a contracted position. Based on the qualifications and availability of the candidate, this position could either be part- or full-time
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and references to Carol Buckley at email@example.com